London resident and lifestyle blogger Fiona of Fiona in London and her partner purchased their first home two years ago in the Oval Quarter in South London. As a shiny new-build in a great location, this bright two-bed ticked all the boxes. However, Fiona found herself — as many new-build residents do — unsatisfied with the lack of character of her ‘shiny and new’ abode. “We wanted it to be different to the other new homes that we had seen”. With the help of Homewings designer Helen, Fiona began refining her space, putting her own eclectic stamp on it, “I wanted to show that even if it is a white-box to begin with, it can be livened up and made into a cosy home”.
“I wanted to show that even if it is a white-box — that it can be livened up and made into a cosy home”
Possessing the one design aide that cannot be bought - Pinterest worthy good taste - Fiona was already full of ideas, but like many of us mere design mortals, she lacked the confidence to commit, “I considered painting the wall behind the sofa, but I wasn’t sure what it would look like. Helen knew what i was aiming for straight away and gave me the confidence and push that I needed.”
“Helen knew what I was aiming for and gave me the confidence and push I needed to paint the accent wall.”
It’s safe to say, Fiona’s mission of creating a warm and welcoming home was accomplished. The dark blue wall was painted in Hague Blue by Farrow & Ball and its deep emerald undertones add a sense of warmth to the living room, brightened up by the pops of pink from the gallery wall and matching velvet cushions. The woven ceiling lamp from Maisons du Monde and wooden ‘Max’ sideboard from Habitat bring the whimsical and eclectic décor back down to earth, grounding the space with organic materials and shapes. The colourful ‘Poppy’ Morroccan style rug from French Connection, took the place of the yellow patterned number, rounding out the space with its earthy and pink colour palette and serving as the perfect backdrop to Fiona’s vintage chest turned coffee table taking centre stage.
In the bedroom the cream chair with its Shearling throw and Fiona’s DIY headboard ‘art shelf’ create a Scandi vibe that beams with positive energy, while Fiona’s own photographs hang in perfect harmony. “I love photography, always have. Even though I am a dentist I have always been creative. Having taken A Level Art at school, I have tried to regain some of my creativity in the art that I can use on my own walls. I primarily take photos when travelling and the ones in my bedroom are from New York, Toulouse and Glastonbury!”
10 Questions About Your Home with Fiona
1) Where is home for you? In North Yorkshire.
2) What makes a house a home? Lots of ‘stuff’, lots of things and trinkets around me.
3) Sofa Sunday or Sporty Sunday? It’s got to be Sofa.
4) Why did you choose to work with a Homewings designer? To be a bit more brave with my space. Having a new-build it was very bright and white and plain, so I just needed a bit of encouragement.
5) What’s your favourite thing about your newly designed space? The wall, my nice dark blue wall with my dark blue sofa - it always gets comments when people come round!
6) What did you like most about the process? It was really good having the online collaboration board to go back and forth with my designer. She immediately responded and got what I wanted really quickly.
7) Minimalism or Glam? Depends what mood I’m in!
8) Best coffee in London? I’m more of a tea person, I’m afraid. I’m a Yorkshire girl!
9) What’s the most special piece in your living room? Probably the chest/coffee table. It’s from an auction house up in Yorkshire. I wanted a coffee table for ages, and then we found this trunk so we brought it down on the train with all our stuff in it and pretended it was a suitcase. When we first bought it it was filled with Newspapers from the 60s!
10) What’s your final verdict on your Homewings experience? I found the experience easy, quick, while still allowing me and the designer the time to be creative together. Helen understood what I was looking for and brought my ideas to life - I would definitely recommend it.
As we sit in the warm and inviting space that is Fiona’s living room, cuppa in hand, of course, she smiles widely when asked about her new interior design soulmate, Helen. “Working with Helen was great. I loved how she managed to incorporate some higher and lower priced items because we were on a budget, and really the mix works well and you can't really tell what is high or low end! She was friendly and approachable and it really felt like an inclusive team-work project. I love interior design and Homewings and Helen gave me the confidence and push that I needed.”
Ready for your before & after? Schedule a free design consultation with us to discuss your project and get started with your own home makeover.